Designing and planning homes with Lindal clients in these areas, it was disheartening to learn that home building costs on Long Island are the second highest in the country (after New York City) and that Seattle is near the top of the list in markets outside of metro New York and Central to Southern California.
The 2016 National Building Cost Estimator, published by Craftsman Book Company, published its annual ranking of nearly 600 markets in the United States. The rankings are the result of a very robust compilation of every aspect of home building in each market, from permitting and concrete work to finish carpentry and clean-up, detailed in hundreds of pages in the annual publication.
The National Building Cost Estimator places building cost on Long Island and Seattle at36% and 12% above the national average respectively.
How can Warmmodern Living and the Lindal building system help you get the most out of your building budget?
1. Reduced site preparation costs. Site prep costs vary from $30,000 to over $100,000. We design each Lindal to minimize disturbance to its site, helping to reduce these costs, in addition to creating houses that work in harmony with the natural environment. More energy efficient, healthier, happier homes.
2. Reduced material costs. Architectural grade lumber products of the Pacific Northwest - extraordinary laminated Douglas fir beams, cedar siding and more.. are premium special order materials at most lumberyards. At Lindal they are all we use, sourcing these materials in huge quantities directly from the source and selling them directly to our clients.
3. Reduced framing time. The Lindal building system, time tested and refined over seven decades; the clear and careful labeling of components; having the material needed on site when they are needed all enhance the efficiency of a framing crew, enabling a weathertight shell in fewer days and the access of the house to subcontractors earlier in the building process.
4. Other reduced on-site costs. Reduced time sourcing materials; savings (and the longer term benefits of reduced maintenance) accrued through factory pre-staining of siding, roof liner, and other materials; reduced waste generated on-site by the Lindal kit than conventional framing. In many ways large and small the Lindal approach provides superior value, particularly in markets with high building costs
5. Custom building on challenging sites requires the design skill of experienced professionals. My rigorous architectural training and the efficiency of the Lindal design and pricing process will save you much of the additional 10-15% fee of a local architect, whose fees are not included when building cost per square foot figures are quoted. Design and structural engineering and stamping are included in our prices.
Lindal building costs in Seattle are now in the $230 to -$325 per square foot range. On Long Island they are $325 to $425 per square foot. These ranges are all-inclusive except for building permits and site preparation costs that can vary greatly from site to site.
Where your Lindal will fall in these ranges is dependent on the efficiency of the design (how much material and labor are consumed) and the cost of certain finishes that you select (e.g. cabinets, appliances, countertops, flooring), all of which are manageable and predictable from the start.
We provide an efficient planning process that predicts cost from the start; environmentally responsible site-based design; architectural design experience and expertise; local client-focused service; the quality of a legendary building system with unmatched design flexibility and material options, proven sustainability and energy efficiency.
Lindal and Warmmodern Living deliver an extraordinary value, particularly in high cost markets.