On Saturday, July 28th, join us and tour a very special home, custom designed by Warmmodern Living and produced by Lindal Cedar Homes.
Spend a lovely summer day on Whidbey Island. Built minutes from the Clinton ferry and quaint downtown Langley, experience this special home that is well worth the hour trip from the East Side or Seattle. If you don’t agree, we’ll pay for your ferry ride home!
Two retired educators and accomplished artists celebrate their fifth anniversary by completing a home they designed and built for each other. The 1800 square foot home (including a 450 square foot studio) is resplendent with the works of noted Pacific Northwest artists, including the owners’ stunning work.
The home showcases several design principles that guide every Warmmodern Living design:
- Connect daily life with the natural environment. This house celebrates its site powerfully. We employed several techniques, some of them quite subtle, to achieve the extraordinary. (Every building site, regardless of size or location, rural or urban has much to celebrate).
- Use that connectivity to the site to create a home that belies its size. Create an experience in which the house slowly reveals itself with every turn. Punctuate it with surprises and changes in scale. Design even hallways to function as living spaces, and never lose connection with the outdoor environment beyond.
- Create an environment that inspires the owners’ lifestyle, one that enables and reveals their passions in ways large and small.
- Zone each home for the privacy of owners and guests — adults and children — while ensuring that communal spaces are comfortably scaled for groups of four or twenty four.
- Employ the Lindal post and beam system to organize space and accomplish the aforementioned objectives. The Lindal building system achieves more than creating comfortable and relaxed living environments, bathed in natural light by day and glowing radiantly at night (as if that would not be enough!)
- Design to the client’s budget. The Lindal building system also provides an unmatched level of cost predictability. Every Lindal sketch — even a sketch of a one–of-a-kind design — is priced per the client’s personalized Lindal specification. The system also provides quantity take-offs for key area (roofs, siding, walls, floor systems, etc.) that enable local builders to estimate their work quickly and accurately. Warmmodern Living provides clients with written estimates for the completed house throughout the planning process... and we value engineer systematically to eliminate budget overruns that appear early in the process. We inspire confidence and peace of mind. Other approaches to custom building don’t compare.
This home will be featured in a coffee table book on small homes that live large by noted author Sheri Koones, the latest in her best-selling series that feature the best in prefab, green built and sustainable architecture.